Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Generalised improvements AI support

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv-ai <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Generalised improvements AI support
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 15:34:05 +0100

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 08:44:21AM -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Also, the flag approach swiftly becomes very complex. It takes multiple flags
> to implement something as clear and simple as unit_defend. In fact,
> unit_defend gets rid of pikemen,horse, Aegis and numerous other effects.

        Well, it can do. Not right now though, since the effects are
tied to buildings, not units. But this can be extended.

> > I don't have hard numbers but I have the feeling that this will eat a
> > lot of CPU.
> I suspect this might be the case, but performance comes after getting it
> correct.

        In the case of unit vs. unit combat, it would be fairly easy to
calculate the total unit_defend effect for each unit type (or class)
at startup and then be done with it for the rest of the game.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"So you found a girl who thinks really deep thoughts,