Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [Patch] AI can fly v2 (updated)

To: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [Patch] AI can fly v2 (updated)
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:33:58 -0500

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 09:32:39PM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> I've been playing with advdomestic.c. This manager computes unit counts
> of various types, and instead of building caravans at priority 1, first
> builds units (even military ones) to bring quotas up to minimum levels.
>
> I found that this really helps pacificist AIs maintain a few roaming
> patrol units and such so they have some defence against surprise attacks
> and barbarians. It also promotes a more warlike game as free units tend
> to go off and pick fights which starts up the advmilitary() machine.
>
> I would suggest that the quota system be a good thing to expand on.

        It is pretty intellectually appealing.
        I keep looking at principles like
        "Each city should have at least one defensive unit"
        "Border cities should have one offensive unit on autoattack"
        etc and trying them out in various situations.  "Keep some fast
patrol units" is one that I hadn't actually thought of, at least before
aircraft become viable.

        The very early game is all fast exploration units.  Once you make
contact with another Civilization or barbarians, you kick in some of the
"I'm in danger!" code.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

'Finally, the Navy stated that [...] "However, use of the area as a live
fire range has the beneficial effect of reducing the negative impacts of
human intrusion."' - Center For Biological Diversity v Pirie and Rumsfeld