Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2009:
[aclug-L] Re: Router questions

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Router questions
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:25:55 -0500

On May 18, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Dale W Hodge wrote:

> I could use the help of some network pros before I rework my network.
> First off I have a small lan with 8 computers. Currently I have two
> linux boxes working as firewalls for my network but I'm considering
> replacing them with some kind of hardware router and moving those
> boxes
> to a DMZ. My network gets hammered by port scans and break-in
> attempts,
> badly enough so that my ISP is offering to trade out IP's so they can
> use mine for their honeypot!
>
> The questions I have are two fold, whether replacing them with a
> hardware solution would enhance security and if so what kind of router
> should I purchase?  I have looked at both low cost residential routers
> on up to Cisco SOHO routers like the 831/851/871. I know some of the
> residential routers run a linux derivative, so are there any preferred
> models I should consider? Or should I move on up to a Cisco or is it
> overkill for small office like mine?

Well, perhaps you need to describe a little bit more what you are
trying to secure, but I really don't see that some "off the shelf"
router is going to be any more secure than a Linux box, assuming that
you know what you are doing at least to some extent. With a Linux box
you can tweak it to do almost anything. You are much more limited in
your options with a commercial product.

If you either are not comfortable driving a Linux router or don't want
to, you might look at http://www.smoothwall.org/. It is an open source
Linux based project that turns an x86 computer into a router/firewall
with more features than many commercial ones.

Steve

Steven Saner
steve@xxxxxxxxx