Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2007:
[aclug-L] Re: UBUNTU + 2001 pc-chips all/in/one board?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: UBUNTU + 2001 pc-chips all/in/one board?
From: "Mike Barushok" <mike.barushok@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 07:33:10 -0600

David,

Generally the most common problems with built in hardware are not
because of the hardware being built into the motherboard, but because
of the hardware being cheap. Most higher quality hardware gets
supported right away, because of being used on the machines the kernel
developers themselves use. Cheaper, more obscure, and difficult
hardware get supported later, if ever.

Machines of about that vintage, were often supported by better, and
sooner, by UBUNTU than by Red Hat. One of the earliest differences I
noticed on distributions that run from CD is better hardware
detection.

You could easily just try it. And if it does not ever get to a login,
you are out almost nothing. If you can get a command line, but no GUI,
or no sound, or no network, then you could send us the output of lspci
and then we could go from there. I suspect that it will just work, but
I am sure there is only one way to find out.

Mike (formerly HAL)