Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2006:
[aclug-L] Re: Case fan hunt... Re: Re: Where to purchase..

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Case fan hunt... Re: Re: Where to purchase..
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:55:08 -0600

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 04:46 -0600, David Carmichael wrote:
> On Sat. afternoon I stopped by "Ribbits" and lets say.. pricing miss-match!
> $10 for either a used fan or a new LED fan but I did not want more flashing
> items in my office! So did not purchase there....
>
> Stopped by other places that were either closed for the day or closed for
> good??? I will not list them here but lets say they were stores along the
> Harry St/Lincoln/Mont Vernon streets area between Web St and Broadway..
>
> Ended up at Sat. sale but all the booths were closed by 3:30 so Echo sold me
> a pair of used fans for $4...

At least you got the right price there. (If you don't consider the door
fee).  $10 is a bit pricey for s simple fan if you do not need the
flashy LEDs (But they sell a lot that way!).

I have found fans new online for about $3 - $5 as a normal price.
Surplus Computers http://www.surpluscomputers.com/ is one place I
usually check, also Price Watch http://www.pricewatch.com/.
You usually can find almost anything for a price you can afford if you
look long enough and are willing to wait a few days to receive it.

I just checked Price Watch while writing this, and found fan prices
generally from $1 to $35 and these include case fans as well as cpu
fans. Interestingly enough they also have the LED fans as low as $3
(They had a few CPU coolers for higher prices as well.)

I realize this is not in Wichita, and shipping is often not included,
but the price differences may be worth the wait for most people.

HTH
Jeff