Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2006:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux images...Building a bullet proof Linux box for mothe

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux images...Building a bullet proof Linux box for mother.
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 20:07:45 -0600

* michael holmes <aerospaced@xxxxxxx> [2006 Jan 06 16:07 -0600]:
> I am trying to build a bullet proof pc for my mother. I just need to be
> able to boot, email, internet browse. BE able to open any attachment
> sent to her. She gets pictures, movies.... She also manages to crash
> every windows set up I've built. Somehow she manages to get very mean
> viruses.  This would have to boot up in run level 5 (6 to be mean!!! :-)
> ) as she is very intimidated by technology.

You might take a look at Ubuntu (GNOME) or Kubuntu (KDE).  Either seems
to be very much targeted at newer users as the basics are there.  You
can download either as a live CD first to get an idea of what each
works like.  Either of the Unbuntu systems boot to a graphical login
and they don't have a root account perse.  Instead, administration is
done with sudo (only you need to worry about that).

BTW, since both are Debian based, specific run levels aren't used to
start X or get a text login.  All multi-user run levels (2-5) start the
display manager by default.

Have fun evaluating your choices.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.