Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2006:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux images...Building a bullet proof Linux box for

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux images...Building a bullet proof Linux box for mother.
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:52:36 -0600 (CST)

I would say it's impossible to build a machine that is guaranteed to open
_any_ attachment... Because as soon as you make that guarantee, someone is
going to release a new video codec, or image format, or send you their
password-protected Quicken backup file.

But you can probably decide what attachments to _reasonably_ support.

If I was going to build a 'bullet-proof' Linux PC for someone, I would
install KDE or Gnome, depending on preference--I like KDE for idiots,
because it's more similar to Windows, which most people are familiar with.
 (I also like it for myself...does that make me an idiot?  who knows?)

And I'd probably install Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, or perhaps
Evolution (whichever I deemed to be most friendly to the intended user).
I'd put shortcuts for those on the desktop.

I'd probably install xine or vlc for video playback... and set gwenview,
or similar, for viewing images, and set up all the associations with
firefox.

But why mess with run levels?  Just set up *DM to auto-login as her user.