Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 2005:
[aclug-L] Re: Ideas for June Meeting?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Ideas for June Meeting?
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:38:10 -0500

I'd suggest for both of you, the same thing I usually suggest for media:
mplayer.

Mplayer handles Http quite well, All that would be needed would be for your
browser to be associated with the file, so that it opens the file like
"mplayer http://server/path/to/file.mpeg"; instead of downloading it.

This works quite well, I've streamed an MPEG1 file over the internet -> cable
-> wireless -> zaurus, and that played it perfectly fine. Admittedly most
good quality media is slightly more bitrate hungry than mpeg1. The drawbacks
are a lack of ability to seek backwards, (and possibly forward.)

CPU is not an issue unless the bitrate is very high, or you want to filter it
as you view it. A Pentium 233MMX is capable of playing 320x240 mpeg4/divx +
mp3 to a Linux vesafb framebuffer with mplayer. (VIA C3s seem to be a slight
exception due to their 1/2 speed fpu on all but the newest ones to this
according to some people, but as I've not used them I can't say for certain.)

You both might try setting up apache, and then testing it via copying the link
to a command line as "mplayer http://...."; and testing that. (Or, depedinging
on default config "mplayer -cache 65535 http://..."; for a 64MB cache. If
either works, then it saves you from having to write another random thing.

More specifically, for the photos and such, mythtv and freevo seem to aim to
do what you want.

If you want more control, (such as the ability to delete programs remotely if
not using dedicated PVR programs) NFS, FTP, SFTP or SMB sharing can be set up
very easily the standard way.

James L.