Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2005:
[aclug-L] Re: VMware to run win98

To: ironrose <ironrose@xxxxxxx>
Cc: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: VMware to run win98
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:47:03 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, ironrose wrote:

> I talked to someone who has a specialized graphics program that requires
> a dongle and will only run on Win98(as far as he has found out).  He is
> tired of all the hassles of spyware and viruses.  The downtime of this
> computer is killing his business.  He would like to talk to someone
> about using linux, VMware and Win98 to run on his computer.  It has been
> a while since I have tried VMware.  Would someone like to offer their
> expertise?  Email me if anyone is interested.  I'm sure that pay would
> be involved.  If anyone has any other suggestions that would solve his
> problem(s), then let me know and I will forward the info on to him.  ~Anne

        Does this machine require either LAN or Internet access?  If not,
I would disconnect it from the network entirely.  I would then load Win98
back on the box (reformat) and reinstall the graphics software.   Good
antivirus software would also be helpful to scan removable media that is
used.

        I have Win98 (mostly for games) and don't want to fight viruses
and spyware either. That is why when I have 98 booted, I leave my modem
turned off.   I use LINUX for everything else.

                                T W

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx