Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: yum across home LAN?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: yum across home LAN?
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:05:52 -0500

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 22:00, ironrose wrote:
> Very good question!  I would like to find out the answer to that myself.
>   Any ideas or suggestions?  ~Anne
>
> Olwe Melwasul wrote:
> > On the Fedora distributions there's a new way to update called yum. If
> > you do the full "yum update" (update everything updatable), it downloads
> > a ton of header files and rpms to /var/cache/yum. Great, done that (took
> > over 3 days on a 26k modem :()), but now I have a second box on my
> > network I'd like to update without going back through my horrid Internet
> > connection. Is there any way to hack yum to take advantage of the one
> > box's now very full /var/cache/yum?
> >
> > Olwe

The easiest way it to create your own mirror of one of the mirror
repositories using rsync, then point your yum.conf to the local mirror
on all machines on the network.

This means you download everything exactly once, and the rest is done
locally.  You can also select what you download.

Base == what is on the CD
  - if you don't install this and later want to add something you will
need to do the install from your CD followed by an update using yum..

Updates == updates/changes from the CD
  - The frequently updated stuff.

Development == Exactly what it says
  - bleeding edge and probably not needed.

So for a dialup connection I would use only the Updates segment and yum
will be happy as long as you modify your yum.conf accordingly.

Note that FC3 will use a different data scheme for the updates.