Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: yum across home LAN?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: yum across home LAN?
From: Jonathan Hall <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 04:59:30 -0500

A few ideas...

1) Install squid on your LAN before doing this update again, and point
all your machines to use squid as a proxy.  If configured properly (i.e.
to keep large files, and keep them for an adaquately long time), the
next time you download the same file elsewhere on your LAN, they will be
fetched from squid rather than downloaded completely again.
(www.squid-cache.org)

Since you didn't already have squid installed, that obviously doesn't
help now... read on.

2) Simply copy all of the files in /var/cache/yum on the already-updated
machine to /var/cache/yum on the to-be-updated machine(s).  You can do
this with FTP or (my preferred method) scp.

to-be-updated-machine:~> cd /var/cache/yum
to-be-updated-machine:/var/cache/yum> scp
username@already-updated-machine:/var/cache/yum/* .

After doing this, run the update command again.  Presumably, the update
command will realize that all of these files are already here (any sane
update tool should check!), and not download them again.  Note that any
packages that were _not_ installed on the first machine, but are
installed on the second machine (and thus need updating) will still have
to be downloaded, for obvious reasons.

3) A short-cut version to #2 would be to set up NFS.  Assuming all the
necessary kernel modules and daemons are already installed and running
(refer to an NFS HOWTO or similar if in doubt), on the already-updated
machine, create an entry in /etc/exports something like:

/var/cache/yum   to-be-updated-machine(ro)

Restart the NFS server daemon, if applicable.  Then on the target machine:

mount -t nfs already-updated-machine:/var/cache/yum /var/cache/yum

Note that this NFS mount will disappear after a reboot.  If you want it
to be more "permanent", I suggest deleting anything currently in
/var/cache/yum on the "client" machine (as it will be invisible when the
NFS mount is in place anyway, and there's no point wasting that hard
disk space), then add an appropriate line to /etc/fstab on the client
machine (man fstab for info).  Note that if the NFS server is not a
machine you have on all the time (or not in Linux all the time), it is
likely undesirable to make the NFS mount permanent.

I hope some of these suggestions help!

-- Jonathan

P.S.  When did they start making 26k modems? ;)