Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: July Meeting?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: July Meeting?
From: Kirk Lancaster <lancaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 16:29:40 -0500

On Friday 09 July 2004 03:48 pm, John Goerzen wrote:
> Or even to get some Free Software onto Windows machines (Mozilla,
> OpenOffice, etc.)

This sounds like a good idea in general and the first step in a migration
path off Windows.

I wonder if anyone knows which games service pack 2 will break?
Some info is here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/security/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/xpsp2web.asp

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=22103525
If someone came to the meeting with illustrations of applications which will
no longer work under XP SP2, I would find this very interesting.

At WSU, many students play computer games.  If SP2 is going to break
HALO or First Strike or NeverWinterNights or Doom3 (some game names
may be wrong), might we encourage them to look at and try Linux?
(The "cost of migration" cannot be an issue if MS breaks applications
they (students) like/use.)

Kirk