Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2004:
[aclug-L] on a lighter note

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] on a lighter note
From: Jesse Kaufman <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 14:13:31 -0500

first off, i'm sorry to hear about patrick's passing ... as olwe said, i
only knew him through the e-mail list, but i still observed a moment of
silence out of respect ...

on a lighter note, i have a question for anyone that does home theatre
stuff w/ their computer ...

i recently purchased an HDTV and want to upgrade my video card in my
computer so i can push the TV more than i currently am (i have a
GeForce2 MX w/ s-video out) ...

sorry if this is a stupid question, but i'm new to the whole "i have a
tv with something better than just RF or RCA video in" world ... are
there cards out their w/ component-out that do progressive scan?  if so,
any suggestions?

on somewhat of a budget, but at the same time, i'd rather spend the
money on a video card that does what i need than to buy a progressive
scan dvd player and still have to revert to lower-quality video to watch
all my divx and do any other computer stuff ... got all the other
hardware i need and this is basically the last piece of "glue" in my
home theatre setup (well, until i can afford some big-ass plasma, but
that may be a few ... decades :P) ...

it's not crucial, but i wouldn't mind one with a TV tuner built in so
that (unless i'm horribly mistaken) i can copy old VHS movies and home
vids for my parents to shiny new DVDs ...

thx,
-g-

--
"...In a book in a box high upon a shelf
In a locked and guarded vault