Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: on a lighter note

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: on a lighter note
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:48:29 -0500

On Friday 09 April 2004 02:13 pm, Jesse Kaufman wrote:
> first off, i'm sorry to hear about patrick's passing ... as olwe said, i
> only knew him through the e-mail list, but i still observed a moment of
> silence out of respect ...
>=20
>=20
> on a lighter note, i have a question for anyone that does home theatre
> stuff w/ their computer ...
>=20
> i recently purchased an HDTV and want to upgrade my video card in my
> computer so i can push the TV more than i currently am (i have a
> GeForce2 MX w/ s-video out) ...
>=20
> sorry if this is a stupid question, but i'm new to the whole "i have a
> tv with something better than just RF or RCA video in" world ... are
> there cards out their w/ component-out that do progressive scan?  if so,
> any suggestions?
>=20

As far as I know there are not any of these cards at the moment. At least a=
s far as I can tell there are few (it's not a widely supported feature) if =
any HDTV-out cards with nvidia & ati chipsets (expect them only on High End=
 as a special feature $$$$)
It seems that S3 may be your best bet (DeltaChrome chipset), though I don't=
 know about linux drivers for said card.

> on somewhat of a budget, but at the same time, i'd rather spend the
> money on a video card that does what i need than to buy a progressive
> scan dvd player and still have to revert to lower-quality video to watch
> all my divx and do any other computer stuff ... got all the other
> hardware i need and this is basically the last piece of "glue" in my
> home theatre setup (well, until i can afford some big-ass plasma, but
> that may be a few ... decades :P) ...
>=20

Better than a plasma might be a projector, as there is one DLP at dell for =
$899 (800x600 native resolution though), and it will be larger than any pla=
sma in the price range.

> it's not crucial, but i wouldn't mind one with a TV tuner built in so
> that (unless i'm horribly mistaken) i can copy old VHS movies and home
> vids for my parents to shiny new DVDs ...
>=20

ATI's All-in-wonder cards have a linux driver, but it (due to hw problems I=
 believe) doesn't support things like mythtv and tvtime. Other things might=
 work fine, be buggy or be flaky.

> thx,
> -g-

Let me know what you find, because I can't find any specific cards from ati=
 or nvidia that do that via google at the moment.

James L.