Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: LAMP

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: LAMP
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:53:34 -0600

Dustin Keib wrote:

>On Monday 23 February 2004 07:41 pm, Jeff Vian wrote:
>

>>Wayne White wrote:
>>

>>>I am wanting to develop an application to use at work.
>>>
>>>Can anyone recommend a good book on using Linux,
>>>Apache, MySQL and PHP for application development?
>>>
>>>Is there an IDE for that sort of development?
>>>
>>>Many thanks,
>>>

>>a very good tool for managing mysql dagtabases from a web interface is
>>phpmyadmin available from www.phpmyadmin.net
>>

>On that note, I am currently working on setting up a LAMP machine.
>What I was wondering is what some sane global privelege settings are to
>allocate to any known unix user so that they can create and maintain their
>own databases, without comprimising security.

Every user granted extra permissions is a security threat.
With that in mind, you decide who you can allow to use the system with
those privledges and you MUST make sure those users are required to use
username/password to connect to the database before they use the extra
privledges.

What I do is grant privledges on a specific database to a given user.
      "grant all on <database.*> to <user> identified by <password>"
is the command to create the database and grant the privledges.
Then that user can create any tables he wishes and grant any other user
privledges he wishes within the specified  database.  He still cannot
use any privledges he is not specifically allowed (except the global
guest privledges) on any other database.

Read the documentation in /usr/share/doc/mysql* to get more details.