Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2004:
[aclug-L] Topic Suggestion: Linux and mobile phones

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Topic Suggestion: Linux and mobile phones
From: flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 05:42:21 -0600 (CST)

If there is any interest in this topic, I would like to volunteer myself
to give the presentation.  I recently purchased a new cell phone, and have
been working on using it with Linux in a few ways, and would be happy to
explain what I have done, and what else is possible (with other phone
models, for instance).
I could cover:

* Using a cell phone as a modem to access the Internet.  This would
include the technical aspects (i.e. what drivers are needed, how to call
pppd, etc), as well as a brief discussion of what different mobile phone
providers (i.e. Sprint, Cingular, Verizon) offer with regards to this
service.
* Creating and hosting your own Mobile-phone accessable web pages.  This
can be useful to access server stats/uptime, accessing your e-mail,
mobile-web-based telnet clients, etc.
* Sending electronic messages to your phone via e-mail, the web, or the
mobile web.
* Creating and using your own custom ringtones, pictures, logos, and even
mobile phone games.  (Why pay your cell provider $2.95 + tax to use a
cheezy rendition of Van Halen's "Jump" when you can use the version you
ripped from your own CD for free?)
* Accessing and modifying your phone's phone number list and other data
from your PC.
* A general discussion of various cell phone technologies as they relate
to PCs and Linux.  (i.e. data transfer rates, CDMA/GSM, USB/serial cable
connections, Bluetooth, WAP, SMS, etc)

If there is any interest in this, let me know.

I am currently scheduled to give a presentation on compiling programs from
source tarballs in April, I think.  I could talk about cell phones in May
or... perhaps better would be to talk about cell phones in April when
they're more fresh on my mind, and talk about compiling in May.  But
whatever people want, I can work with :)
-- Jonathan