Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Controlling Spam

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Controlling Spam
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:25:06 -0600

> Here are my stats for my personal email address (same address for 8 yea=
rs
> and it appears online in quite a few places):
>
> During the last 21 days at my personal address I have recived 48,655
> emails (2,316 a day)
>
> 398 of those were notifications of someone sending me a infected email
> that we blocked.
>
> 42,094 (2,004 a day) of those were spam (87%).
>
> "Real" mail (of which some is of course still spam) was 6,163 (293 a da=
y).

> What is really sad about those numbers is they are actually a little
> better the past month than normal.
>
> Chris

Ow, how did I escape this?=20

I have had this email for several years (1998?) and it has maybe 1 spam a=
=20
week (100+ emails which I don't call spam (mailing-lists, mplayer, zaurus=
,=20
aclug, etc, & most of those are filtered well (Thanks Dale) ))

Even on my yahoo account I average less than 1 a day (maybe 2 a week)

Admittedly both places WSU (though I suspect not) and Yahoo may be filter=
ing.

I follow this policy:=20

give yahoo account out to companies, etc AND BE SURE to uncheck anything=20
newsletter, or notification etc if required, such as real. (btw, real did=
n't=20
seem to follow the guidelines or I missed something in the past)

HTML mail images: great way for spammers to track email addresses.

Spam hits this email box, and I bounce it. (makes no sense for spammers t=
o=20
spam an email box and get replys saying no address)

Don't put your email all over the internet. Don't give it to random=20
strangers. My policy is to give my yahoo one to people until I know them =
well.

Same goes for phone number, IM contacts, etc.=20

Don't post your email on usenet in the clear! (or as some person apparent=
ly=20
did, their phone number....which is also an email address...)

James L