Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: SuSE vs. Mandrake

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: SuSE vs. Mandrake
From: gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 16:21:33 -0500 (CDT)

> (I assume KDE is the default desktop) and  usablity factors?  Is there
> anything broken in the default install (like  Mandrake and RedHat seem
> to always be) <- go ahead guys, flame away...

no flames from this end, except towards redhat for jacking with kde so
badly!  fortunately in RH9 it's much better than in the past, and
9.1/10/whatever betas seem to be looking up.  unfortunately our distro
(CPUBuilder OS) is based on RedHat, so I've had to do a lot of un-hacking
to get things to work right...

> Anything else you think
> I should know before I trash my beloved Mandrake 9.1  install?

the biggest disadvantage, imho, of SuSE is the fact that it's so closed
compared to (most) other distros.  last i tried, the only way to do a
free install was to install via FTP/HTTP, which kinda sucked, especially
since Cox was really bad about fixing the cable line to my old house
(fortunately i moved and now it works fine... go fig!)...  Mandrake has
(semi) recently filed for Chapter 11 (or something similar) in France,
but i haven't kept up to date on what their future holds...

but, on a brighter note: why trash your MDK9.1 install?  if you've got
enuf drive space, you can easily dual-boot the two and compare them "side
by side"...

tonite, i'm starting on my venture into Gentoo, since i've heard so many
good things about it and i'm an avid freebsd fan (i'd be using FBSD if it
wasn't for my video and sound cards not being fully supported)...

good luck!
gLaNDix