Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2003:
[aclug-L] SuSE vs. Mandrake

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] SuSE vs. Mandrake
From: Dustin Keib <dustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 04:12:11 +0000

Anne

At the meeting last night, we were discussing SuSE and Mandrake, and you said
that you preferred SuSE over Mandrake.  Can you give me a few of the reasons
you have for this?  I know it is RPM based, but does it have anything similar
to urpmi or apt-get for installing software directly off the internet?
(Ports packages like BSD or any non-distro-included software)  Can you
compare the layout of the GUI (I assume KDE is the default desktop) and
usablity factors?  Is there anything broken in the default install (like
Mandrake and RedHat seem to always be) <- go ahead guys, flame away...
Anything else you think I should know before I trash my beloved Mandrake 9.1
install?

Thanks
Dustin