Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: [announce] July Aclug Meeting: Monday July 14

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: [announce] July Aclug Meeting: Monday July 14
From: Kirk Lancaster <lancaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:41:29 -0500

James and I attended Linux Tag in Karlsruhe (Germany) on Saturday
and Sunday (July 12-13).  This is the largest annual Linux convention
in Europe.  However all of the talks were in German (even though we
were quite close to France, for example) and our knowledge of the
German language is not great.
The German idea of humor is "different."  For the Saturday evening party,
the host linux group (KaLUG) showed a reel-to-reel film (in German) from
the 1950's (??) on the proper use of a chainsaw; the audience was laughing
all the time but I did not see any funny scenes.  (Either the dialog was
really "bad" or they drank a lot more beer than I did.)   (We were told that
Alan Cox attended last year's KaLUG party; I did not see Linus or any other
"famous" people.)  The people we met were nice; many spoke English and I
got to practice my German.

I hope the social event ACLUG had last night made more sense than did the
Linux Tag talks.  Perhaps ACLUG can arrange to host a regional or national
event someday.
With Best Wishes,
Kirk Lancaster
lancaste@xxxxxxxxxx