Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2003:
[aclug-L] Cable modem

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Cable modem
From: flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:55:55 -0500 (CDT)

I'll be moving to Wichita next week, and am signing up with Cox for cable
modem.
I'll be buying my own modem, though, and was hoping for some advice from a
few people who might have a bit more experience with such things.
My first, most obvious question, would be... Does it really make any
difference what modem I buy?  Is there any real/noticable difference in
throughput, or features?
I'll be running my own gateway/router/firewall obviously, so I don't need
a modem/router combo.
I've done some reading on the topic, and have determined that some modems
are "uncappable"... I guess firmware bugs (fetaures?) allow the user to
bypass ISP-imposed bandwidth caps.  Although I of course would NEVER take
advantage of such a bug (right?), is that something that can effect Cox
service?  And if so... does anyone recommend a specific modem with that
feature-bug? :)
The specific model I've been considering is a Motorola SURFboard SB5100.
It's only been out a month or two, and seems to have "all the new
features" including many I'm sure Cox doesn't use--such as DOCSIS 2.0
compatibility.  But I figured that would increase resale value in a year
or two if/when I'm ready to get rid of the modem, and might come in handy
if/when Cox upgrades to that... no?
But... if an old used modem will be just as good, I'd be happy to save the
$50 and get something cheap off of eBay.
So any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!