Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: open source in state governments

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: open source in state governments
From: flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:50:42 -0600 (CST)

> I think what's actually going to happen is that somewhere some
> middle-level state bureaucrats are going to get the open source
> bug and start experimenting with open source solutions. I.e.,
> they're going to come in through the back door where they can
> work around the budget process, rather than come in through
> anything like legislation. I imagine that there are actually

I think you're probably right.  I've heard of quite a number of city
governments around the country using open-source, or other closed-source
alternatives to M$ in recent months.  I think the smaller, more agile
governmental bodies will make wide-spread use of OS software before city
(and eventually, fenderal) gov't will.
And really, that's fine with me.  I'd probably rather have the smaller
gov'ts work all the "bugs" out before the larger ones do.  (And I'm not
talking about software bugs, but more procedural bugs that always occur
when making major changes).
Personally, I think legislation that requires the use of or consideration
of OS software is silly--and a bit hypocritical.  In an open-source
mindset, all options should be given equal opporitunity, and the best
option should (eventually) win.  We don't want legislation that requires
the use or consideration of software that falls under any other category
of licensing, do we?  So why do we want it for OS software?
Imagine legislation that required use/consideration of shareware.  Or
Bannerware.  Or "Free for non-commercial use" software... etc.
-- Jonathan