Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: open source in state governments

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: open source in state governments
From: Lars von dem Ast <prenzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 23:05:04 -0600

When I worked for Harvey County, I pushed for open source, but got
nowhere. In county government there are the big, rich counties that can
afford ESRI/ArcInfo (GIS), M$, Oracle, and those that can barely afford
PCs. Harvey was blowing big bucks on M$/Citrix, even though they had
absolutely no data management other than what came with the state (COBOL
apps doing license, appraisal, etc.) on their AS400. I talked with the
IBM man and he said, sure, let's set up Linux on their AS400, Web, DB2,
etc. Harvey balked even at that because it would have required a very
cheap memory upgrade.

In general, small counties are starving for data management, and cannot
afford the price tag (many, many $1,000s) for Oracle, MS SQL Server,
etc. The new Kansas appraisal system to replace (2004?, 2006?, ever?)
the AS400/COBOL app is supposed to be database-neutral SQL, and there
should be state money to buy SQL DBMS. When I pressed Topeka for details
on whether an open source DBMS would also work, they brushed me off
repeatedly.

I would say the next mySQL (4.x) will be on par with Oracle 7.3; hence,
robust, mission-critical, and capable of doing lots of heavy data
lifting. And IMHO, no county or state entity needs more than an Oracle
7.3 level of data management, i.e., mySQL would be fabulous.

Unfortunately state and county government is very hostile territory to
new IT thinking. They're bureaucrats who are in the public sector to do
laid back jobs 40 hours/week, full stop. They get in ruts and stay
there. New things usually don't interest them; hence, only heat from
above moves them.

As I understand, Germany's government is getting heavy into Linux and
especially KDE.

Lb