Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Xpde

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Xpde
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 00:02:32 -0600

The problem with M$ is not it's interface.  I might consider an MS-copycat
WM.  Although, I am one who easily adapts to any interface very quickly, so
I probably wouldn't go to any extra effort to use a Windows-like interface
:)

As for, is it useful to someone who uses Windows on a daily basis?  I can't
say without using it (I do use Windows on a daily basis).  My experience
with other Windows-like WMs (FVWM95 comes to mind) is that they usually look
a bit like Windows, but really operate very differently.  The similarity
usually ends with the placement of icons and buttons.

That's not enough of a similarity to satisfy any but the most casual of
Windows users.

Perhaps Xpde is better at that.

The screenshots themselves _look_ very impressive.  I'd have to play with it
first-hand to see if the functionality is good enough that I would consider
using if I was going to have a Linux installation used by the "public."

I'm curious where they got the font they use... do they use a M$ font?  If
so, I'm guessing a licensed copy of Windows is needed to use it (as shown in
the screen shots).  No doubt, another font could be used if desired.

-- Jonathan