Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Tablet PCs

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Tablet PCs
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:37:50 -0500

On Saturday 12 October 2002 13:02, you wrote:
> An article in the most recent issue of Popular Mechanics talks about
> "Microsoft's" new Tablet PCs... basically laptops with touch-screen LCDs
> that swivel in a way that you can close the 'notebook' with the LCD facing
> outward, forming a hybrid PDA/laptop PC.  Additionally, the display is said
> to work either horizontally or vertically, so you can operate it in
> standard laptop mode (horizontally), or tilt it to the side and hold it
> like you would a clipboard, or an overgrown PDA, and operate it in vertical
> mode.
>
> The article talks about "a version of Windows XP" with special handwriting
> recognitian software, and other "tablet"-specific software.  Manufacturers
> such as Fujitsu, Acer and Toshiba are cited as promising variations on the
> theme.
>
> My curiosity is... how long until Linux will have the maturity to run on
> these devices with the same functionality that Windows does.  I'm sure
> Linux could be loaded on the PCs... but until Linux supports that flavor of
> touch-screen monitors (maybe it already does?), and handwriting
> recognition, and a few other features... it will still be lagging behind M$
> for that niche in the market.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree86-Touch-Screen-HOWTO.html

There are programs that let you use a pointer device (mouse or touchscreen)
to write. (Too lazy to look them up, I found the HOWTO (though not that
informative)

> Is anyone aware of any such emerging technologies on the Linux front?

see for example, www.handhelds.org www.zauruszone.com opie.handhelds.org
(admittedly most of this is geared more towards smaller devices, but it would
work with a little modification on larger devices (Qtopia (what the zaurus
uses) and it's offshoot OPIE, are likely to be modified for larger devices,
especially as the new Zaurus will have a 640x480 screen.