Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Tablet PCs

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Tablet PCs
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:19:01 -0500

On Saturday 12 October 2002 16:02, you wrote:
> Linux is used in many POS applications in retail around the country
> (Papa John's Pizza comes to mind) which prolly (although not
> necessarily) use touchscreen; Sharp's Zaurus would prolly have
> handwriting recog. (again, I'm not sure; just seems so)...

Yes, the Z does customizable charachter recognition (which is as good as the
PPC which call it 'handwriting recognition', when it really is char
recognition) (however it is much easier to use the built-in keyboard.)

Rant: Especially right now (glass, who would use actual glass in a PDA
touchscreen (aside from sharp and palm (compaq and toshiba, haven't seen one
broken, so I don't know))?!) However, because of the keyboard, it is still
useful, because the screen itself (though not the touchpad) works. Try seeing
any other pda break and still be usefull without a $70 (retail) add-on
keyboard. Only thing it doesn't have is a '|' !

James L.