Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: FYI: Case Mods

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: FYI: Case Mods
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 01:02:19 -0500

Mini towers have the power supply at the top-rear. The power supply fan
draws air from the case and exhausts it. IMO there is not adequate flow
thru that path, and thus most cases also have space to mount one supply
fan at bottom front and one exhaust fan at top rear, just below the
power supply.  Cheap insurance for case temperatures.

This does leave the top front where cdrom/disk drive/ etc are mounted
with no real air flow - just stagnant as far as flow path is concerned.

However, on my Athalon boxes, with the 2 extra fans in place; the CPU
temp stays at 135 - 140 and sys temp stays at about 120 with a room temp
of 85.  This is reasonable and would be lower if the room temp were lower.

Michael Moore wrote:

>CPU's didn't get near as hot; but, hard drives produced massive amounts
>of heat.  Many years ago I assembled a 286megaherz computer with a 410

Are you sure you did not mean a 286 computer, instead of a 286
megahertz.computer.
The 286s were built before 386, 486, and pentiums.

>megabyte harddrive. The hard drive ran so hot that it would heat up the
>ram memory causing the whole computer to lock up after about an hour and
>a half of use.  So, I cut a hole in the top of the case and mounted a
>fan and it never locked up again.  Also, it doubled as a nice little
>office heater in the winter time.

I remember those times.  Lots of heat.