Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: sctelcom?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: sctelcom?
From: Patrick Klee <misterp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08 Aug 2002 09:35:50 -0500

I had SC Telcom for dial-up.  I could stay connected unlike Southwind's
2 hour meter.  However, their system always goes down and they don't
have newsgroups.

If you want DSL, and your Bell account isn't satifying, I would
recommend, Speakeasy.  I think the basic package is $75, but it has like
two IPs, and a shell (web page space) of 25 MB.  They are based in
Seattle, but they support Linux and the BSDs, unlike Bell.  Also, I
noticed Bell doesn't have picture and binary newsgroups
(alt.binaries.movies, etc. etc.).  I am 75% sure speakeasy does.  I
think they cover Kansas, at least I know they cover Philly, PA, because
Eric Raymond uses it, according to his webpage.  I have also talked to
several people online who have it, and it's a LOT faster than bell.  I
don't know what bell's is but it's 384 at speakeasy.  And you can pay
for faster service too.  Like 512k and higher.

http://www.speakeasy.net is the URL.  I may get it when my contract
expires.  Right now, I can't afford to pay a $200 disconnect fee.  :(

Cheers,
Patrick