Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Shutting down linux from X

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Shutting down linux from X
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 07:29:13 -0500

Anne McCadden wrote:
> I had a linux firewall that was using one IP address.  When it showed up
> on their scans that I wasn't actively using the internet, I was getting
> bumped off.  I kept having to reboot my linux firewall everytime I
> wanted to check a web page or my email.  I was getting tired of that

Did not need to reboot,:( only to restart the network with the built in
scripts. :)

Also, if you run something like fetchmail and have it set to check for
mail every 10 - 15 minutes the link is constantly active and would not
get bumped off.

> crap.  Now that I am using  a SMC router/firewall, I'm not getting
> bumped off, but now  I am using more than on IP address.  I guess I will
> be redoing my network again.  ~Anne

If it is using more than one internet address it is not a router, just a
hub/switch.

A router would use one address on the internet and provide private
addresses on the home side of the router. It then takes care of
"routing" communications from the network on one side to the internet on
the other side.

A hub/switch passes the internet addresses to each attached machine and
does nothing more than provide a connecting point for everything attached.

--
Jeff Vian
jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx