Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Ra-Con 2k2. Anyone from here going?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Ra-Con 2k2. Anyone from here going?
From: Clint Brubakken <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Jul 2002 16:05:19 -0500

Actually I went last year and they pissed me off so bad I almost
cancelled my check.

I'll tell you what I liked and didn't like and let you make your own
decision.

First very few of the gaming events they announced and I was interested
in happened (for Instance they listed a Midnight Settlers of Catan
Tournament. Not only did it not happen, they didn't post any information
on it) The only gaming that I did there was when I brought my own board
game and played with someone there.

I lost my badge the last day, and they essentially accused my of trying
to rip them off and get a free membership. I was willing to pay for a
replacement badge but they wanted me to pay for an entire new
membership. I had paid for a 3 day membership and they had a record of
that, but they wouldn't do it.

I have been to several conventions and the most I'd ever seen charged
for a replacement badge, was 5 bucks.

The ironic things was I could have not told them and they would have
never known (In fact I know of someone who didn't pay and went to the
whole convention).

Their Con-Suite was full of overpriced food that they wanted you to pay
for. Not only was this the second most expenisive convention I've been
to at $30. (The other convetion was $50 had 3 Bablyon 5/ Crusades
guests, 4 of the MST3k actors, and Terry Pratchett, and they had free
snowcones to)

Also I've been told that their guest Bill Blair from last year is not
coming back even though there are advertising he's coming, and he was
kinda upset about that as they asked him at the masquerade in front of
everyone to come back , because they never got back with him as there
were working so hard to get Richard Biggs (who I've scene at another
convention and seemed rather pleasant).

There were no room parties, an essential part of a convention. Nothing
more fun then drinking with fellow geeks and finding  out that Missouri
truely is the Show Me state.

Now what I liked about it.

They had a trivia contest and I won about $200 worth of Dealer Dollars
for the Huxters Room .

They also had live action vampire for free, ran by a local group, and I
had a good time with that.

I don't know as I said if I'll try it out, I was speaking to a friend
the other day about it and he said they pissed a lot of people off last
year.

Bill Blair will be at  oz-con a one day modeling and game  convention,
http://home.earthlink.net/~tcdownen/OzCon_02/OzCon_02_Information.htm

as its only $3 if you don't enter a model I plan on checking it out.
Its also another weekend then Ra-Con so those who want can do both.