Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: NOAA Radio

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: NOAA Radio
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 08:42:44 -0500

Edited replies below in reply message:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nate Bargmann" <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 6:39 AM

> * David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx> [2002 Jul 05 06:06 -0500]:
> >
> > Ok I think that somebody in this group is a HAM RADIO Builder and might
be
> > able to help me.
>
> That would likely be me.  :-)

High nice to meet you....

> > I have a multiband radio that will pick up NOAA broadcasts.
> > How can I boost the reception range of this little radio? Wrapping it in
> > foil does not work...
> Ummmmm, wrapping the radio + antenna in foil will "shield" the unit thus
> preventing it from receiving anything.
> If your office is a metal building or a metal framed concrete structure,

The wrapping foil was sort to of been a joke.. where you would wrap foil
balls on the end of your telescoping antenna for better reception.. No don't
live in a metal building.. but due to high power lines on three sides.. in
winter I can pickup Tulsa/OKC TV at times better than I can Wichita
stations... In my car I can not hear local AM stations till I am north of
Macarthur, east of K-15 and or west of Broadway, or on south 47th street.

> If your radio has provisions for an external antenna connection (often
> they are a type "F" connector

No.. external connections.. most of the ones that I have looked at over the
past two days don't even have earphone / external speaker connections.

> My recommendation of a vendor is the Radio Shack at Derby.  Mark
> Brechiesen.

I will check with Mark some time this next week.. [If I don't figure out
something before then].

> > _OR_ does the local NOAA "WEBCAST" their reports?
> I don't think so.  My understanding is that they just generate a text
> forecast and current conditions report and that is fed to the Perfect
> Paul voice generator that you hear these days.  Actual humans no longer
> do the NOAA broadcasts.

On the Wichita station there are still times when a human will break in on
the two computer voices.... yes two computer voices they added a women's
voice this past spring to the mans voice that does most of the "reading".

> > [[>  Side note: was going to use this radio for my home '''cable'''
weather
> > network <]]
> Neat!  I think many others would be interested in what you've done so
> might I suggest a Web page detailing your system.

Na!  Really its not a new idea.. I know of many people that have converted
older PC's into something much like what I am trying to do... most created
MP3 players!  My nephew created a MP3 jukebox, where he can control the
thing from most any room in his house using a wireless keyboard (he said he
paid more for his SoundBlaster sound card then everything else!). On the
cable network "TechTV" they have shown many different ways that people have
mounted older PC's, in their trunk and using some of the cheap B&W LCD
screens and track balls to control the PC, many of these systems shown on
"TechTV" were running Linux and 'FreeAmp'.

--David