Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Help my Servers falling and won't stay up

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Help my Servers falling and won't stay up
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 19:54:51 -0500

FYI, if you have a 550Mhz, chip, it's a K6-2.  The fastest K6-3, IIRC, was
500Mhz (which was much faster than  K6-2/550, incidentally).  Not that this
really matters :)

After the system freezes and you reboot, does anything at all show up in the
logs?

It sounds to me like it might be CPU-related.  Perhaps a bad CPU or an
overheating CPU.  If it was bad RAM, it would not likely freeze up
completely, but give sig11's and what not.  And actually, come to think of
it, even when I've had an overheating CPU, I usually get sig11s before the
thing completely locks up.

Can you upgrade to a later kernel?  Perhaps there's some funny driver issue
going on?

-- Jonathan

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 04:23:57PM -0500, Clint Brubakken wrote:

>  2.4.9-21.0RS , I assume RS is rack space
> I don't get this problem on my workstation which is a redhat 7.2 w
> 2.4.7-10 and a K6 2 or 3  550 vs an athlon 700 for our server.
>
> I'm wondering if it is a heat issue? It only seems to  happen under
> constant mild stress.
>
> On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 14:27, Denis Medvedev wrote:
> >
> > Please tell me what kernel version do you use!
> > Kernel versions prior to 2.4.17 were highly unstable
> > on
> > heavy memory loads. Even 2.4.17 is not very stable.
> > The results can be that you described.
> > --- Clint Brubakken <cabrubak@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > We are running a redhat 7.2 server, rackspace
> > > installed (so I don't know
> > > the whole configuration), and its locking up when we
> > > do to much with it.
> > >
> > > The latest incidences happened when tgzing the /home
> > > directory to make a
> > > back up.
> > >
> > > The first time, I was creating the tar in my home
> > > directory which was
> > > being tarred, and so i created a loop.
> > >
> > > The second time I was creating it in the /tmp and it
> > > locked up in the
> > > middle.
> > >
> > > I was doing a top at the time, and never saw the
> > > load get above 1.17,
> > > and the memory taken for gzip was at 64%, which is a
> > > lot but not enough
> > > to lock up the server I'd think.
> > >
> > > Both times it locked up so bad, they we couldn't
> > > ssh, or run any
> > > services off it and it had to be rebooted by hand.
> > >
> > > I'm going to be looking into pam and limits, but it
> > > didn't seem like it
> > > was a problem like that.
> > >
> > > Any ideas or suggestions?
> > >
> > > Clint Brubakken
> > > President in Exile
> > >

> > > -- This is the discussion@xxxxxxxxx list.  To
> > > unsubscribe,
> > > visit
> > > http://www.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi

Famous last words: "Why yes--a bulletproof vest." -- James Rodges, murderer,
on his final request before the firing squad