Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2002:
[aclug-L] B&N

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] B&N
From: Kirk Lancaster <lancaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 12:56:57 -0600

Last night I visited the Barnes & Noble at Kellogg and
Rock.  After looking at the computer section, I asked
the manager why there were displays of books published
by Microsoft where the O'Reilly books were normally
displayed.  He said that a few weeks ago the New York
office ordered all the B&N stores to do this.  I asked
him to forward my objection to the corporate office and
he agreed to try.

I do not object to books published by Microsoft.  However,
if these books are placed in prominent displays in the
majority of the prime locations in the computer sections
of Barnes & Noble stores, then I object.  Microsoft
has been found to constitute a monopoly by the courts.
I would have hoped that Barnes and Noble would not
assist Microsoft in maintaining (and strengthening) its
monopoly by replacing displays by publishers like
O'Reilly with displays by Microsoft or displays which
promote only Microsoft products.

I am considering other actions I can take.  Does anyone
know if Borders is doing (or is planning to do) the same
thing as B&N?

Sincerely,
Kirk Lancaster

PS  At universities around the country, perhaps we will next
see courses titled: Visual Calculus, Biology XP, Music ME.
(Mr. Brubakken, you earned a grade of C# in your CS 644
course.)