Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: B&N

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: B&N
From: bbales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 16:46:35 -0600

While I do not disagree with everyone's desire to have a large display
of O'Reiley books displayed, I understand somewhat B&N's action.
Windows-XP for dummies (if there is such a book) will surely outsell
Using Samba by more than ten to one.  Shelf space in any store is
valuable - Coke, Pepsi and RC fight for it (and in some places pay
for it) constantly.  If RC cola is on the shelf at all, it has a small
display.  The store displays what will sell and, sadly, not a lot of people
are looking for Linux books.

We can voice our displeasure - and I will.  But our best tactic is to
support development of Linux applications as good as the Windows
applications people are used to and shop for books where O'Reiley
books are sold.

bruce