Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: A Cool Mpeg - favorite viewer

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: A Cool Mpeg - favorite viewer
From: Patrick Klee <drwho@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 15:37:07 -0600

> So far Xmms with the smpeg plugin has met my needs.  I've haven't tried
> anything else except Gtv, and it's clumsy compared to Xmms, IMO.  Only
> glitch was I needed to upgrade to Debian Testing and XFree 4.x for it to
> work.  For some reason XFree 3.3.6 on Potato just wouldn't work.  OTOH,
> XFree 4.1.x has solved several nagging problems I had before, so I'm glad
> I switched.
>
> I've also been listening to streaming mp3 "radio" via Shoutcast and I
> like being able to use Xmms for a lot of different media types without
> having to start another application.  Couple that with the ability to
> use WinAmp skins, and I'm sold!
>
> Merry Christmas!
>
> - Nate >>

I haven't tried that, but I have successfully compiled Xine on YDL 2.1 and it
does everything including my DVD needs, sadly though, it doesn't play
encrypted DVDs because of course, the DeCSS problem.  But, I did hear that
the kid that created DeCSS won in court in Linux Magazine, so that may soon
change.

Merry Christmas.

Patrick