Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2001:
[aclug-L] Interesting

To: ACLUG_DISCUSSION <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Interesting
From: Maverick <mluvw47@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:05:45 -0800 (PST)

I got this from a local linux(SVLUG) group:

Mav

//

We would like to announce the Open K-12 Petition Drive
which can be found at

             http://stephenadler.org/petition/

This aim of this petition drive is to try and change the settlement
out come of the recent civil class action antitrust suit brought
against Microsoft. The current terms of the settlement will have
Microsoft investing over $1 Billion dollars into our underprivileged
K-12 schools to train the students on using Microsoft software
products. Furthermore, the settlement is structured so that any
competition for this segment of the education market is shut out.
Only computers authorized by Microsoft and its software products can
be purchased using the settlement funds. We feel this to be
unacceptable terms for a settlement in a case where Microsoft has been
accused of engaging in antitrust practices.

Because of this, we are urging the plaintiffs in this civil class
action suit, through this petition drive, to change the conditions or
opt-out of the settlement.

Please visit our petition web site where you can find more details on
the settlement. We would appreciate that you take the time to sign our
petition, which will help us in our efforts to ensure that Microsoft
does not get away with the current terms of this settlement.

On behalf of the Open K-12 Petition Drive, we thank you for your time
and signature.