Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Hardware vs. software RAID, etc

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Hardware vs. software RAID, etc
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 23:22:57 -0600

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 10:07:45PM -0600, Ryan Hunt wrote:

> I will assume, 2 drives = Raid1 and we know raid1 is mirroring
>
> If all you want is mirroring then I wouldent bother with an IDE Raid
> Controller (YUK!) I think a software raid would be fine for this
> instance..

How difficult is it to configure Linux to boot from a software raid device?
Or would I need to set up a smallish partition at the beginning of the drive
for booting?

What is a standard configuration when doing RAID?  Should the entire system
be run on my 80gb RAID?  Or should I put a smaller drive in the system, too,
for swap, booting, etc?

> Instead of raid you might consider the same path I use for mirroring
> harddrives.. search freshmeat for a program called "cpbk"
> Its a great little tool that compares directories and updates the mirror
> drive (via mount) with any files that have updated, added, and deleted..

That sounds pretty slow and icky.  Unless it does something to keep track of
which files are updated as they are updated, so it doesn't have to scan
through the entire filesystem.