Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2001:
[aclug-L] Put that laser pointing device to use

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Put that laser pointing device to use
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:19:43 -0600

The Idea:

Inexpensive, yet surprisingly powerful laser pointing devices have become
ubiquitous in America.  Millions of people own such a device.  Laser light
stays coherent over vast distances, the beams spreading very little.  In
theory, even a single laser pointer could reach the Moon.  The original idea
behind Paint the Moon was to organize millions of people in North America to
shine their laser pointers on one area of the Moon at one time, in an
artistic experiment to see if we can create a temporary visible field of
color on our nearest celestial neighbor.

http://www.paintthemoon.org/

David E. Carmichael
Southwestern Bell Internet:
Mailto: dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx
Home Page: http://home.swbell.net/dec2955/index.html
Southwestern Bell Telephone
Local Voice: (316) 524-0246 // Local Fax : (316) 524-9731