Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: MTAs & maildir vs mbox (was Re: Virtual POP3 and IMAP serv

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: MTAs & maildir vs mbox (was Re: Virtual POP3 and IMAP server)
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:41:49 -0500

> For inbound MX and outbound SMTP we are probably going to be moving away
> from sendmail.  Postfix looks like the winner now, mainly because of the
> ease with which you can handoff to external filters.  We scan all incoming
> email (and will be scanning outbound) for virii and that is a bit harder
> to do with sendmail (milter is not ready for prime time in my opinion).

Along those lines, perhaps qmail for my POP3/IMAP server would be ideal...
and sendmail or postfix for my outbound relay?

You chose postfix... any specific reason(s) why?

Can you comment on sendmail and/or postfix's ability to support SSL and/or
authenticated relaying (is that the correct term?).

My goal with the authentication is to allow traveling clients to relay
through my server even though their IP address is not one that would
normally be allowed to relay.  I don't want to REQUIRE authentication, tho
(altho if required, I suppose I could run one server that requires auth and
one that doesn't, and tell my clients to use whichever suits their needs...
I prefer a single server, though, for ease of client configuration)