Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2001:
[aclug-L] Virtual POP3 and IMAP server

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Virtual POP3 and IMAP server
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:35:27 -0500

I'm in search of a solution for virtual POP3 and IMAP servers.

I require support for:

* POP3
* IMAP
* Virtual mail domains (not just a virtualusrtable, but actual, separate
  virtual mail domains)
* Must work with sendmail (Unless you can somehow amazingly convince me that
  some other MTA is better for my application)

I would like support for:

* SSL-encrypted authentication
* mbox storage prefered (as opposed to maildir)
* Both passwd-style and (Postgre)SQL authentication (I'll use passwd now,
  but would like the ability to use SQL later)
* POP bulletins (The ability to place a single 'bulletin' or announcement
  message somewhere, and have it downloaded by each each user as they fetch
  their POP mail, without requiring me to set up a mailing list that sends a
  mail to each individual user)

Thus far I have installed and nearly configured Cyrus IMAP (which also
supports POP3, mbox, and SSL)... just to discover that its boast for
"virtual domain support" is in error... and in actuality it realy only
supports "virtualusertable"s... which is sort of a no-brainer, if your MTA
supports that... *shrug*

I can get Cyrus working if I feel like doing some significant hacking to the
source... and want to run a single instance of Cyrus for each virtual
domain.  I guess I can do that if all else fails... but there's gotta be a
simpler way.

I have no problem dedicating a single IP address to each virtual POP3/IMAP
domain... I'm not expecting to have multiple CNAMEs pointing to a single IP.
But I would like the ability to keep multiple domains completely independant
of each other.

I've looked at a few other stand-alone IMAP and POP3 servers... but they
don't all look like they'll work well with each other.

So if anyone can offer suggestions... or if anyone has actually set this up
before, please let me know.

Thanks!

-- Jonathan