Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Need ideas for online business.

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Need ideas for online business.
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 00:27:16 -0500

Well let me first say a couple things about starting businesses.

It sounds like maybe you're just wanting to start "a business", then looking
for a need to fill.  This is, in my humble opinion, completely backwards.

Businesses are started to fill needs.  If you don't have a need to fill
(other than to provide yourself employment), the odds are stacked quite
heavily toward failure.

Second, the type of server(s) and Internet connection(s) you need depend
ENTIRELY on the TYPE of online business you're conducting (and there are
many, many kinds of 'online' business).  The term "online business" or even
"e-business" is almost as broad as the term "business" itself nowdays.

As many on this list have already eluded to, running your own server is
usually NOT the best idea for a start-up, unless you have a killer idea and
lots of VC (venture capital).  I would venture a guess and say that you have
neither at this point.

If your goal in starting this 'online business' is just to experience online
business, I would suggest instead finding employment at an existing company
that conducts business online.  Perhaps after working there a while, you'll
come up with a great idea, and start your own business at that point...

The possibilities are endless.  But make sure you have some general
information about your own needs, desires, and plans, before you start
investing money in servers.

-- Jonathan

P.S. Never buy a server from CompUSA.  I don't recommend National Computer
too highly, either (over priced), but they are better than CompUSA.  Your
best bet is probably to build your own servers--that way you can be sure to
get EXACTLY what you need.  (Exceptions would be if you want an Alpha server
or Ultra SPARC or something that you cannot buy all the individual
components for)