Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Need ideas for online business.

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Need ideas for online business.
From: "Stephen S" <junkmail001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 20:04:25 -0500

Should you run your own server for an on line business?

  Unless you are prepared to pay much higher prices=20
for a commercial cable account you should consider
a company that will give you a 'web presence' on
their equipment. Unless you want the torture of being
on call 24/7 for equipment failure, software glitches, et. al.
Your blood pressure will be much lower knowing someone
else is getting those 2:00am calls. Especially since they will
have backup equipment to use while straightening out the=20
problem.

  For a lot less than what you would pay for a commercial cable=20
connection you can have a site with shopping cart software,
payment handling, etc. You would have very high bandwidth,
a bunch  of savvy techs watching over the hardware, and the
only computers you would need in your office would be for the
bookwork and remote administration of the site. (adding products,
changing prices, etc.)  The computer you are using right now=20
would probably do just fine.

Stephen S.
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20