Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 2001:
[aclug-L] Lexmark 4039 10R driver

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Lexmark 4039 10R driver
From: Ron Walker Snr <walker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 04:12:18 +0100

I found your name on a forum... can you tell me the name of the
"supplied driver"? There seem to be about four available from the
Lexmark site, and not one of them works with my printer. A system crash
some while back meant I had to re-format and start over... a few weeks
back it worked perfectly, and I had the correct driver installed!

Ron Walker Snr

"Hello All.

Last week I aquired an IBM/Lexmark 4039 10R laser printer (very nice!).
Everything works great except for an interesting problem.  It seems that

most of the time I have to cycle power to the printer before lpd will
send it queued jobs.  At times I can send a job from Netscape (through
ghostscript) and it will print immediately.

Strange as it seems, when the printer goes into power saver mode, lpd
seems to read that as the printer being busy so it can't send the job
to the printer.  Unfortunately I don't have a parallel breakout box
so I'm not sure of what the status lines are doing.

As it would work out, I first tried this printer out on a laptop running

Win 3.1 and never noticed this problem.  Of course this was with the
supplied Lexmark driver so perhaps it takes this behavior into account.

I am using the lpd daemon that was included with Slackware '96.  Perhaps

a new version addressed this problem?"