Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Lexmark 4039 10R driver

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Lexmark 4039 10R driver
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 21:55:53 -0500

Root/Great Overall Dictator replies:
> That was a post from me, I'll take responsibility.
>
> Actually, I don't use a Lexmark driver at all when printing to the
> 4039-10R under Linux.  I did use the Magicfilter package and configured
> a filter for the HP III driver in that package since the 4039 uses HP
> III emulation.  If you just want to print Level 1 Postscript, you don't need
> any special driver at all as the 4039 has a Postscript interpreter
> built-in.

Level 2 works on a 4039 10plus (don't know the difference between the two).
According to many people the reason the lexmark/ibm lazers are so cheap
(relatively) is that they developed their own in house postscript as opposed
to using adobe's, as most other manufacturers do.

My 10plus also supports pcl (Printer control language) level 3 (or some level)

This is my suggestion: use no filter, unless that doesn't work. if it doesn't
configure it as an hp lazerjet.

James L

> The problem I described in that email went away after I converted the
> box to Debian.  Apparently, there was some problem with the older
> version of lpd in the Slackware '96 distribution I was running at the
> time.  The printer functions very well under Debian, except I can't
> print from Acrobat Reader over the network...grrr!

Windows or linux reader, and have you got remote lpd to work right? xpdf
works fine.