Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Fwd

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Fwd
From: Jared Johnson <solomon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 00:53:57 -0600

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 00:37:21 -0600
Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think if you check your world history text books, you'll find that this
> claim is inaccurate... and since we're off topic, we might as well discuss
> something that's off topic AND interesting :-)
>
> - In U.S. History, the Civil war cost the most lives... I don't think oil
>   played much of a role in the motivation for that war.

This is irrelevant; the Civil War was not motivated by oil, but it did occur in
spite of oil, and thus falls within Tom's specifications.

> - Many more people died in WWI than in any oil-related conflict I'm aware
>   of... both as the result of direct battle, as well as the result of
>   genicide, and other causes as well.

see above

> - I could list many other death-causing signifcant world events that don't
>   include oil as a motivation, but then I'd be getting a bit TOO far off
>   topic.  And I think the death toll from the two events mentioned above far
>   outeight the oil-caused death toll anyway.

I do not think you are in any position to speculate on the number of eights in
either death toll.  the death toll from the afore-mentioned events could very
well be 1,000,000,000, wheras the oil-caused death toll could be 888, thus
causing the latter to outeight the former.

> Gasoline vendors don't even st their own prices... it's the wholesellers
> that set prices.  They may sell gasoline to one store for $1.00 per gallon,
> then drive their tanker half a mile away and sell the EXACT SAME GASOLOINE
> for $1.10 per gallon. It's not up to the local vendors what they charge...
> the big oil companies have complete control over most of that.

To an extent this is true, although in a city with multiple gas stations some
have been known to go driving around in the morning checking gas prices and use
that data to set their own; so, effecting one gas station's prices could effect
others; however, i don't see how these prices could be effected in the first
place.

In conclusion, I would like to point out that, on a case by case basis, one is
more likely to die from smoking gasoline than from smoking tobacco; therefore,
if i were to boycott one or the other, I would defintely boycott gasoline.

Cheers,

-Jared Johnson