Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Newbie

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Newbie
From: "John Alexander" <johnalexander@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:28:10 -0600

Simply put, older BIOS isn't a problem. The Linux kernel provides it's own
IO subsystem, basically replacing any hardware BIOS on the motherboard. The
hardware BIOS is used to get the bootstrap for the kernel, then the kernel
takes over all negotiations with the hardware. All you need to do is remove
the EZ-Drive softare, set the machine's BIOS to as big a hard drive as it
can see, and, I think, make sure that the filesystem that contains your
kernel ends within that size setting. IE: if your machine only allows you to
have a hard drive up to 528MB, then make sure that the filesystem that
contains the kernel ends inside that 528MB limit.

Using RedHat makes this process a little easier, as the kernels in all 6.x+
versions go into a /boot filesystem. On my old laptops, which now house 1GB
and 2GB drives, but came with 340MB and 120MB drives respectively, I ran
into the BIOS issue, but let them auto-negotiate the biggest size they could
see, put LILO on the MBR for the drive, and then built about a 25MB
partition, which gets mounted as /boot. After bootup, I can see the entire
drive.

ja