Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Thanks for the help, now down to snd card

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Thanks for the help, now down to snd card
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:29:09 -0600

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, you wrote:
> I never got the network (intranet) server going, but I did get a lot of stuff
> woking on my desktop.  I still have not managed to get the PCI network card
> working yet.  And, I have not got the sound card to work.

I've had mixed success with the built-in NICs that the i810/i815 chipsets
provide. The i810 one seems to work fine, but occasionally reports that it's
out of resources (on boot). A reboot usually clears that. I have not been able
to get the one with the i815 chipset (in a Compaq EN desktop box) to funcation
at all. It works with Windows, but none of the Intel ethernet drivers included
with RedHat would find it. I know it's not defective, since 2 different boxes
behave exactly the same way. I finally gave up and put in 3Com NICs so I could
get some WORK done rather then fart about with this half broken (half
supported?) NIC.

Greg