Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: mounting an encripted file

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: mounting an encripted file
From: Jeff Schaller <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 07:56:48 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Greg House wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Nov 2000, you wrote:
> > Last year the tall guy (the one who runs the computer network at wsu)
> > was helping me with setting up my computer, (at the supersaturday
> > sale) and mounting the cdburner.  He did something to make an
> > image file, and then he said I can do this to any file, and
> > also encript it.  I forgot how he did it and I am not sure of
> > the man page to look it up.
>
> I didn't see an answer to this, so I'll offer what I know.
> Sounds like what your'e talking about is the loop device mount
> that mounts a disk image file as a file system. Look at the
> man page for mount. There's a section called "THE LOOP DEVICE"
> which should help you.

To make an ISO of a directory:
mkisofs [other options, maybe -D or -l, -L] -o output.iso path/

To mount that back & double-check it:
(sudo) mount -o loop output.iso /mnt/cdrom
ls /mnt/cdrom
(sudo) umount /mnt/cdrom

Any encryption would have to happen before the mkisofs step.

-jeff
--
Churchill's Commentary on Man:  Man will occasionally stumble over the
truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.