Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Has anybody fought M$ --ME for control to install linux du

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Has anybody fought M$ --ME for control to install linux dual boot?
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:58:41 -0500

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> I just bought a new HP pav and It came with a ton of software and ME
> preinstalled.  I tried my typical of fips'n the hard drive and sliding linux
> right in beside it. AS soon as stuff starts, ME bust in and stops stuff!
> From me, I cannot go to dos real mode, as it is no longer allowed.  It seems
> as though microsoft has designed this program to counter dual boot systems
> and it is annoying me.  I am thinking of putting in an old 2gig hard drive
> and booting off of a diskette to the other drive!
>
> Michael

I heard that it will not only not exist with linload (no dos mode), but it
will not exist with LILO. The reason is that it thinks (according to what
this person said M$ said) that the mbr is "damaged", and overwrites it. I
think they had more sinister objectives (eg. no more dual booting), but LILO,
linload, etc WILL NOT dual boot with Linux on the same drive. Another case of
M$ anti-competitive actions.

James L.

ps. the floppy should work.