Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: WAY too much time on your hands when you write a lunix for

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: WAY too much time on your hands when you write a lunix for c64
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 11:46:46 -0600

I installed that about 5 years ago, back when I still saw a fading glimpse
of usefulness in a C-64.  I didn't bother installing it on a C-64 though,
mind you.  That would have required dusting off some old computers.
Instead, I just emulated my C-64 on my 386 (which was the fastest machine I
owned at the time), and ran Lunix under C-64 emulation.

The 386 made C-64 software run faster than it would have actually run on a
C-64.... however, Lunix was still too slow and primative to be worth even
attempting to use at the time.

Perhaps if I wanted to spend several hundred dollars on a 20Mhz CPU, 512k
RAM upgrade, and a hard drive for my C-64, it would be worth using.

However, I'd rather spend half the money on building an entirely new Athlon
600 or so, with 128mb RAM and 30gb HD, and use real Linux :-)

On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 08:08:02PM -0500, james l wrote:
> This should qualify for the Most worthless time on your hands award
>
> This is sad, but as there is a c64 user in our midst, I thought it would be
> fun. Someone wrote a "little unix" for the commodore 64.
>
> It is multi tasking, open source, serial terminal accessable, and not written
> by microsoft.
>
> http://www.heilbronn.netsurf.de/~dallmann/lunix/lunix.html
>
> Maybe John will have a use for those 50 or so c64s laying around now ;)
>
> James L.

Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and
years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the
worst movies in the history of the world.
     -- Dave Barry